Wednesday, April 13, 2005

 

Spring Break 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Finally it came. My very first Spring Break as a college student. The experience would be one to remember.

I left my dormitory in Montevallo at around 2:30 PM, with the intention of making it back to Auburn at 5 o'clock (on time for my delightful job at Chick-Fil-A).

I was cruising along I-65 South, and everything was going fine. I was jamming out to the new Beck CD, Guero. By the way: If you don't have this CD yet, you are missing out on my candidate for album of the year. I understand it's a little early, but it's just that fucking good.

Anyway, I was making my way, and everything was going fine until...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

WHAM! Massive traffic jam. There I sat for the next hour and forty five minutes. My exuberance for the upcoming break quickly wore off when faced with this shitty turn of events.

After taking some back roads, I eventually ended back up in "the loveliest village on the plains." Unfortunately, I had to go to my job at "the ugliest strip mall ever conceived by man on the plains," TigerTown.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The situation was made worse by the appearance of this incredible moonrise over the azure sky in the spring dusk. I'm a pagan dammit. This is my night to burn potions and sacrifice vermin to the moon goddess. FUCK!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On my final approach into TigerTown, I noticed that we're getting a TARG! Yay!

I got to work, and endured hours of dish washing with no help at all from some Beauregard bitch. That's a vague term where I work considering that everyone is from Beauregard. Anyway, this girl was supposed to rinse and sanitize dishes after I washed them. Instead, she opted to go around tickling people and leaving me all by my lonesome at the sink. This wouldn't have been a problem were it the middle of the day. However, the store was closed and I was ready to go the fuck home and this stupid, braindead, Beauregard, whore was the only thing standing in my way. I didn't get out of that place until 11 because of that bitch. Soaking wet and angry, I made the drive home. I noticed on the way that I was experiencing that "I'm going to be sick in the next day or two" feeling (Throat scratchy, extra phlegm, etc).

Indeed, I woke up the next morning unable to breathe through my nose and a bit of a fever, I think, maybe. Anyway, I was kind of sick, it 5:30 in the morning, and I definitely didn't want to go to work at six. In the DVD that we watched for Chick-Fil-A it said "Even if you're just a little bit sick, don't come to work. Even if you need the hours." Well, I was a little bit sick, I didn't go to work, and I could care less about my hours. So, with that, I called Chick-Fil-A to send my regrets of my inability to work.

I slept so good for so long. Then, when I woke up, I found a surprise, a letter on my desk that read:

Dear Rivers,

We are staying with John and Georgia in Atlantic Beach, FL. Be back Tuesday.

Love,
Mom and Dad


Could my luck have been any better? No, no it couldn't have. Despite the sickness, I invited some friends over for a great time. Matt, Miles, Richard, and I had a nice dining experience at my house Friday night.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I stole some of my parents Smoking Loon Merlot. Despite what Paul Giamatti says, merlot is great. Matt said it tasted like earwax. Silly goose!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On the menu for the evening was Red Beans and Rice.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A good time was had by all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After everyone left, it was time for bed. I took this heaping handful of medicine, and retired.

I woke up Saturday feeling a bit better, but I decided that there was still a possibility that I could accidentally land a phlegm bomb in the chicken nuggets via a sickly cough or otherwise respiratory disruption. So, sent my regards in for Saturday as well. Saturday brought together another gathering, this time at Casa de Kinnucan.

I found out that Trent has somehow locked himself and whatever motley crew of volunteers he can muster in as the house band for Project Graduation. We quickly banded together everyone who could play an instrument, and some who cant (Trent and myself) and formed what will prove to be the greatest rock band in the history of Planet Earth:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comprised of a rotating door of talent, Spectacular Vernacular (Thanks to Sean-dogg for the name) had it's first jam session.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Suddenly, the fun came to an end:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, sort of. Actually we just hid the broken blade around the corner. I'm not really sure if Trent knows about this yet. If not, Surprise Buddy!

That night, it was time to get down to the get down at Trent's house. After a bunch of sketchy 10th graders left, things kicked into high gear.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, not really, but it was pretty fun all the same. Sean did some tubular drawings. (I know that's at my house, but I had to throw the picture in somewhere).

The highlight of the night came when Matthew decided that it was time to fry up some omelets. Enticed by the allure of said food, Miles quickly asked Matt to make him an omelet as well. Matt agreed, but not before putting expired pepperoni (at Miles' request) into the omelet. It's at this point that Trent and I entered the picture. We decided that what the omelet really needed was some PowerBar Carb Boost Apple Cinnamon Flavored Energy Gel. This is the nastiest shit ever devised by the minds of men. So we poured an entire package of that in there, along with the diseased pepperoni. Then, just to add a little zing, I put in some Dawn Dish Liquid Soap. By doing so, I overruled the objections of Matt, but, Hey, he didn't die, did he Matt? No. No he didn't. Anyway, we cooked the omelet and fed it to Miles. He ate the WHOLE FUCKING THING. The best part came halfway through the omelet when Miles said: "Did you guys put soap in here?" After the utterance, he continued eating. It was foul to say the least.

After Miles left to go sit on the shitter for what must've been hours, the remaining members of the party (that being Trent, Sean, and myself) gathered in the living room to watch television.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Trent didn't last long.

With the owner sound asleep, Sean and I moved in for the kill in the kitchen.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Unable to locate any acceptable food in the Kinnucan's vast pantry, Sean settled on some wheat germ which he found was quite acceptable, as per the look on his face.

Famished and still pseudosickly, I returned back to my big empty house.

Easter Sunday dawned bright and beautiful. Maybe not, I can't remember. I just know that we went to the creek one of those days, and I can't remember which. So, good enough!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Like I said, we went to a very swollen Saugahatchee. Here are the shots:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On the way back I noticed a roaming tribe of bedowins. It rocked... the Kasbah.

One night, the storm came. (At this point, I've lost all track of days, times, etc. Just bear with)

We were at Richards. Meanwhile there was a Macbeth-esque storm brewing outside. We decided to move it onto the patio to watch the lightning.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Chandler was so excited, he climbed a tree.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then he realized he was in a tree... during a lightning storm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

He was okay after that though.

When it really started coming down, we moved inside. This resulted in an impromptu jam.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was tons-o-fun.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It rained all night long, creating a knee-deep puddle in the middle of my street.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One day we went out to Kiesel Park and painted rocks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Conor had fun.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There was even a nice sunset to cap off that particular day, whatever day it might have been.

One of the most notable main events of the break happened on the last day of the break, Sunday night. While putting up posters for the Green Lemon show (EARTHDAY: THIS SATURDAY DAVIS ARBORETUM 4:00 PM) I saw my acquaintance, Orange, working at The Wall Street Deli. He told me that Ryder was having a BBQ at his house that night. I had to go. I called up Caroline and Adam and we went.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When we arrived, Ryder greeted us with joy. He also uttered the funniest/saddest thing that I've ever heard:

Caroline: I'm planning to go to Southern Union for two years and then transfer to Auburn or wherever.
Ryder: My acne is getting better...

It was so sad... and yet, HILARIOUS.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

He then started to play with cutlery.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyone was cooling out, when Orange noticed that I was taking pictures. A Kodak moment indeed, Orange grabbed the knife from Ryder and they posed for these pictures:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yeah.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Orange is a scary looking dude. He's scary looking, but is gentle in reality.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is one of the best pictures I've taken in a while.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Meanwhile, I improved my mad BMX skills,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Austin caught-up on some reading,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ms. Tina rocked the hell out of a cowbell,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"No pictures please" says Chad,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Caroline showed me her crazy facial abilities,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Brian showed me why he's going to be the next Tony Hawk,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Chad showed me why he's going to be the next Les Claypool,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and Jose showed us all how he makes the camera work for him.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then, some random dirty hippie showed up and stunk the whole place up with the overwhelming smell of B.O. Get a job you worthless piece of shit!

Unable to stand the intense odor coming from this lowlife, Caroline and I moved into Ryder's room.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When we walked in, Ryder was completely passed out on the chair in his room. He was non-responsive, but still breathing. I deemed this a good time to fuck with him:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wow, I didn't know that Ryder liked to look at naked pictures of Ron Jeremy. Gross! (By the Way: You're welcome for the penis shielding).

The position he was in reminded me of something... What was is?... Oh yeah:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Death of Marat

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I began covering Ryder in tons of random shit strewn about the place. Then, I took the above pictures and then quietly (not that it mattered, the man was OUT) removed all the stuff.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then, just to see what would happen, I began violently shaking the chair he was in. This gave us the scariest moment of the night when we thought he might have been dead. I shook the chair and Ryder just slid out onto the floor. Just when I was getting mildly concerned, he got up and hurled himself down on the bed only inches away from the chair. Caroline and I decided that we should start writing cryptic shit on his hands. I deemed this much more clever and hilarious than the usual dick and Swastika markings that typically show up on passed out people. So, I went to work:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"All the answers you seek are at 227 Ross Street." Ryder told me later that he actually contemplated visiting this address. I don't know if this is even a real address, but Ryder seems convinced that it's the police station.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

REPENT!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was particularly proud of the one on his wrist. The rose came out much better than I expected.

Realizing that 100 miles away, my 3:00 class awaited me the next day, I left Ryder's. I also managed to snag Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 on the way out for burn and return purposes. When I came back last Thursday to give it back, it wasn't hard convincing Ryder that I hadn't stolen it:

Rivers: Here ya go.
Ryder: You fuckin' stole this?
Rivers: No dude, you said I could borrow it last Sunday
Ryder:...Oh, yeah okay.
Rivers: You were pretty fucked up.
Ryder: Yeah, ha ha ha.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So that was my Spring Break.

Sorry for the lack of update. I've been sort of busy. Well, actually I haven't. I'm just fucking lazy. Deal with.

posted by Rivers  # 11:30 AM
Comments:
74 pictures...no wonder it took two weeks.

Great post.
 
It is interesting to see my brother in a different light. sadly this did not happen on your blog.

thanks,

forest
 
Actually Matt, there were about 200 some odd pictures. I had to make some executive decisions. Don't worry, though, you didn't miss anything.

Forest, thanks for the comment. Wow, a lot more people read this than I expected. Just so you know, this sort of thing doesn't happen often in the Bancroft-Bright household, but when it does I just always happen to have a camera. Imagine that.
 
i like the pictures and the whole post is very funny especially the ones taken at ryder and webb's place.

-sean
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Links from Hell

Phoenix Rivers Archives

August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   May 2007   July 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   May 2008  

free web counter
web counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?