Sunday, August 15, 2004

 

Good Times Around the Bend?

Rivers' New Camera, Couch in the Driveway, and a Night in the Trees



Guess what. (Riddle me this. Why do most people write the phrase "Guess what" with a question mark at the end? It isn't a interrogative. I'm commanding you to make a guess as to what's on my mind. Next time someone IM's me with the phrase "Guess What?" I swear to God, someone will die.)

I got a new camera yesterday. It's a Nikon Coolpix 3200. I don't know exactly what that means, but it's basically this years model of the camera that Ms. LaRoux so generously (and unknowingly) let me use throughout the duration of "the old site".

It's quite a nice little ditty. It has the same settings as the old one, so I immediately knew how to work it. The only problem that I could see with the entire thing is that, instead of a rechargable ion lithium battery or some such shit, it uses two AA batteries. I suppose that's good and bad. Mostly bad. In fact, there's nothing good about it. That's just terrible. So, I'm thinking I'm going to be like Mike, and buy some rechargeable batteries (Internationally-loved hoopsman, Michael Jordan, was the spokesperson for rechargeable batteries for those of you that have never watched a television).

Anyway, these are my first shots with my new nugget of joy. Also please enjoy these pictures, as they will be my last pictures I will post until I get to Montevallo on the 30th. This is because, as you may know, I have a new computer with very very old dial-up. Each of these pictures took twelve fucking minutes to load on to Photobucket. So, needless to say, I won't be waiting around the house from 9:45 AM - 8:00 PM for you people ever again. I'll just Ethernet it when I get to the 'Vallo. There will be nothing else to do, except maybe get drunk and walk to the Blockbuster which is 10 feet away... on the outskirts of town.



Yesterday, after I got the camera, the first two pictures that I shot were the one at the top, as well as the one above. Not very well thought-out, but I don't hate either of them...yet.



I also shot this picture of the wizard plants in our backyard.



After fucking around with the camera for an extended period, I sort of weasled my way into my mom and dad's night out to La Bamba's. They were going to go by themselves, but I just sort of went with them anyway. Food was good, I still prefer Laredo.







I also took these two pictures of the 'rents. I particularly like the picture at the bottom, because my parents are fucked up. My dad looks cock-eyed in the top picture.

Anyway, when I got home my task was to move a couch out of the living room and into the driveway, where it could be loaded up and given to charity on the following day.



In case you're wondering, it's broken. But not too bad.



My dad and I got it out there, and I layed down on it for a while.



The view from the couch was nice. It felt good outside.



I sat there for a good long while actually. Then Chandler and Charlie came over. We just sat around and talked a bunch of shit.

I gave Richard a rangy dang and he told me that they were partying in Richard's tree house.

Chandler and I made haste over to 420 Sehoy Circle.



Richard, Caroline...



...Matt, and Britney waited to greet us. The usual treehouse activities began. By that I mean sitting around and losing ourselves and our remaining hours in our conversations which fluctuate from very deep to petty and stupid. Also, for the past couple of gatherings at the treehouse, we've decorated the walls with paintings. Here is a sampling of the paintings that can be found in the round at Richard's treehouse...



Richard's renditions of an owl and what looks like a dragon spinning around in circles or something.



My illustration of a quote from Robert Frost's famous sonnet, "Acquainted With the Night".

"...and furthur still, at an unearthly height, one luminary clock against the sky proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right. I have been one acquainted with the night."

(In case you are a complete fucking moron, he's talking about the moon)



Sean's wonderfully executed abstract piece is stationed directly to the left of the statue's head. In case you're trying to figure it out, "Yes, you have seen that face before" it used to hang in the back corner of Mr. Dyer's room. Over the summer, however, Mr. Dyer decided to get rid of it. Our gain I suppose. Also, the illuminations on the vertical support beam between the two pieces were also done by Sean.



Sean's illustration of a winged eye overlooking some high-rise buildings.



Richard's abstract piece right above his painting of a tree which was painted on the end of a skateboard that obviously broke.



My illustration of the song "Ocean Man" by Ween. By the way, the thing in his hand is a shovel. Like the kind you use to build sand castles at the beach. Just so you know.



Lastly, (there are actually many more paintings up there, but these are all I had battery for) is two of Sean's pictures. One of them (left) is blocked by the light of the candle. However, I can assure you that it's great. Also, there's another Sean picture of a beach with a palm tree. You should all get to know Sean now. This will insure that one day when you're poor and no one cares about you, you'll at least be able to say that you knew Sean before he hit it big. Mark my words. Also, propped up under the palm tree and the island is another section of Richard's sectioned skateboard. This one with mountains on it.



Britney and Matt, again.



Sean rocks out to my painting.



Matt rocks it solo. If you notice right behind Matt under the white statue face is Trent's painting of Jesus, a black guy, and a suitcase. One of my overall favorites. That is in addition to where he painted "B(o)(o)bs" (in red, no less) over Matt's one and only artistic contribution to the treehouse, the under-appreciated, "Laughfle" painting.



The last picture of note is this one that I took of a candle in the treehouse. I like it.

So, that's what a post without scandalous pictures and text looks like. If you enjoyed it, or if you even read it, then hopefully you're not too disappointed. If you didn't like it, please visit again. Crazy shit is bound to happen once I get up to Montevallo, or rather when I get home from Montevallo.

Goodbye.

posted by Rivers  # 8:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Links from Hell

Phoenix Rivers Archives

August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   May 2007   July 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   May 2008  

free web counter
web counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?