Saturday, August 21, 2004

 

The Times They Are-A Changin'



Last night, at a party, Shivani came up to me and started talking about how sad it was that everyone was moving away and what not. It was right about then that it hit me. I'm leaving Auburn in less than a week for beautiful, sunny Montevallo, Alabama. I actually just got back from visiting my future alma mater. I had to go up there for "spruce up day".



This morning, I came back to my house at 4:00 AM. I left for Montevallo at 8:30. I wasn't driving thank god, my parents were, but needless to say I was still wrecked. Fortunately, this worked out nicely because I passed out on the interstate near Tuskegee. When I woke up we were in Calera (Calera is to Montevallo as Auburn is to Opelika). I sat up in my chair and decided to take in the scenery...





There was this factory that was just pouring smoke into the air. It was terrible. It was like something from the video for "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson where all of the animals are rotting, the rainforest is being bulldozed, and Michael is holding on to two trees as a violent nuclear wind tears off his clothes. Yeah, kinda like that.



Montevallo is also home to the Chilton/Shelby Mental Health Center. That's reassuring, to know that some psychos are living in yonder thicket.



Finally we made it to my new residence, Fuller Hall. This place looks like something out of Oliver Twist for fuck's sake. It is just not a fun looking place, unfortunately. Therefore, I will have to do my part to rock it out properly, at least in my room.

Like I said earlier, today was "Spruce-Up Day". That means you have to move in. I chose not to take my computer, TV, PS2, etc. up there until Wednesday (that's when Orientation: Phase 2 begins). I'm predicting that I won't be in the mood to file a police report for a stolen computer my first full day in Montevallo.



Here's the "before shot". Notice the ugly green desk and chair that sucks. As soon as my mom saw it, she immediately went into someone else's room who hadn't gotten there yet, and stole their desk and their chair, and replaced it with my shitty ones. It was certainly of better quality, although it had "fuck you" scratched pretty deeply in the top. I 'spect the computer will go on top of that, but I can't be sure.

So yeah, the parents and I did some cleaning up. We hung my extremely bad ass gold velvet granny curtains up. That, along with my 100 Dead Songs poster which I got from a yard sale for $1.00. More decor to come, I feel certain.



I would call this the "after shot", but honestly this is like a "halfway shot".



After much dusting, wiping, sweeping, etc. here I am in my new abode.

Its cold cement walls are sure to create a cozy place where I can truly relax and be myself. Only joking, although it will provide a nice alternative to real human interaction, at least for the first couple of weeks.



Oh yeah, check out the shit I saw as I was leaving this afternoon, a house fire. It was raining too. Not even God could stop this fire! How rad is that? All the occupants were all on the side of the road crying. That shit was HILARIOUS.

It seems like I should make some broad and general statement about moving out, living on your own, and just growing up in general, but I'm not going to. You're on your own bitches. Sorry!

posted by Rivers  # 4:03 PM
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Links from Hell

Phoenix Rivers Archives

August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   March 2007   May 2007   July 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   May 2008  

free web counter
web counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?